July 23, 2012

To get a dog or not to get a dog?? That is the question.

Hey yall,
So S has been very adamant about getting a dog lately. He has always had one growing up where as I grew up with no pets (unless you count a cat until I was 2 and a couple hamsters and fish along the way). We especially never had a dog. I have kind of a bad outlook on the who situation because I mainly hear a lot of negative pet stories; people mainly complain about the bad things that happen and tend not to brag about all the awesome things their pets can do. I know from reading a lot of blogs that so many people are so happy to have their "fur babies", but I'm not sure I'm that type of girl.

This discussion has been going on for a while and I have mostly just been making up excuses as to why we shouldn't get a dog. When S's fam was in town, even him mom was trying to talk me into it! He has been pretty good about understanding my reasons for not wanting to get a pet right now; we like to go out a lot and on the weekends, its not unusual for us to be out all day. It's not always easy to swing back by the house and let the dog out nor is it fair to leave them all day. My main concern is that a dog is going to keep us from doing the things that we want to do and I don't want to turn into that couple that always has to leave early to let their dog out, etc. I also don't want to give up spontaneous trips or trips home because we can't bring it or afford the added expense of a kennel.

One night last week, I came home from work exhausted and S brought up the idea again (he goes back and forth; if he hasn't seen a dog for a while he doesn't bring it up, but since we just saw his fam and their dog, it's on his mind again). I was tired and didn't want to get into it so I didn't say much, but I could tell that he was getting upset with me.

I know that it will make him very happy to get a dog, should I just give in? I have been entertaining the idea a little more the past few days and I may have told him we could start looking, but I don't want to regret my decision. This is an added responsibility/expense that I'm not I want to take on right now. I also made a list of my concerns for if we did get a dog (things like no pets on the furniture, must take obedience classes, cleaning/vacuuming). And I also told S that we would have to both agree on what type of dog we were to get. Right now, we are deciding between a German Short-haired Pointer or Weimaraner.

What are ya'll experiences getting/having a dog? What should I doooo????

No comments:

 
Blogging tips