September 11, 2012

Always Remember...

9/11/01, Never Forget.
 
 
I cannot believe it has been 11 years. I will never forget where I was or what I was doing on that day.
 
I was a sophomore at the University of Connecticut, but had decided to stay home from class that day because my little kitty, Chloe, who had just been spayed, was to be picked up from the vet that morning. I decided that I didn't want to leave her home by herself and wanted to stay and comfort and cuddle her. I remember exactly what I wore that day, a green long-sleeved Abercrombie polo with navy blue chinos.
 
At that time, I was obsessed with watching the Today show on NBC so I had that playing in the background as I got ready that morning. The show is filmed in NYC, just a two hour drive from my home; and I'm sure that the image of not one, but two planes crashing into the World Trade Center was the last thing Matt Lauer, Katie Couric, Ann Curry, or the rest of America EVER expected to see that morning.
 
I sat there watching everything happening live, before my eyes, in disbelief. I started watching just as they recieved word that the first plane had hit and my jaw dropped as I watched the second plane hit the South tower just moments later. I remember feeling confused and scared. I left to pick up Chloe from the vet, where they had the news playing over the radio. I hurried home, just to spend the rest of the day glued to the television watching every minute of coverage. I also remember being outside at one point and hearing a jet fly over my house, not a commercial jet, but a military jet and that is when I panicked.
 
My cousin, Sean, who is like a big brother to me and one of my biggest heros, was working as an NYPD police officer in Times Square. I quickly called my aunt to confirm that he was okay. Luckily, he was and he was not near the area where all the commotion was happening. My aunt and uncle were in DC at the time visiting Sean's sister who had just had a baby, Max. Max was born on 9/11/01. Just before Sean had become a police officer in the Big Apple, he had served in the Army. Just a few years later, he would be called back to serve our country in Iraq. I thank God that he made it through safe.
 
I am beyond thankful for all those who have served both past and present to protect our country and our freedom. And, I am even more proud that I get to come home to a United States Navy Sailor, every single day.
 
I cannot believe it has been 11 years. I will NEVER forget.
 


No comments:

 
Blogging tips